original recipe from bon appetite
Makes 20 good size rolls
1 large potato
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup butter, Kerry Gold
1 1/2 cup bread flour
1 cup active sourdough starter
3 T honey
2 eggs, large
2 2/3 cup bread flour
1 T salt
extra butter for brushing the rolls
- Boil potato until soft. When cool, mash potato in standing mixing bowl. (I left the skin on)
- Mix milk and potato in standing mixer with dough hook, add the butter. Blend until well incorporated. Add 1 1/2 cup bread flour, starter and honey. Mix for 2 minutes. Dough will be sticky.
- Take bowl off the mixer.
- Let rest for 30 minutes in a warm place, cover with tea towel.
- Add eggs, 2 2/3 cups bread flour and salt. Mix with a spoon or hands.
- Rest the dough for 30 minutes, again in warm place with tea towel.
- Pull and turn dough with wet hands. Do this a couple of times, about 10 times.
- Cover again and let rest 30 minutes.
- Repeat last 2 steps one more times.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- In the morning the dough should doubled in size.
- Take it out of the bowl and place it on an oiled surface.
- Divide dough into 20 pieces. Roll into smooth balls.
- Place in a well greased pan (I like cast iron) about 1 inch apart.
- Brush with butter and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let sit till double in size, about an hour.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.