European Almond Cake
adapted from Cook's Illustrated
2 cups almonds, whole and raw
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup arrowroot
1/4 cup rice flour
3/4 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
3/4 t psyllium husk
1/4 t chia seeds
3/4 cup + 2T cane sugar
1 T +1/2 t lemon zest
3/4 t almond extract
5 T butter, melted
1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round pan.
- In a food processor grind all almonds until it turns to flour. Reserve 1/2 cup of the almond flour in a bowl with 1/2 t of lemon zest and 2 T sugar.
- In a bowl add the rest of the almonds with all the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, psyllium husk and chia seeds. Stir to combine.
- Process eggs, the rest of the sugar, lemon zest and almond extract until pale yellow. About 2 minutes. With food processor running drizzle the butter and oil until incorporated.
- Add the almond flour mixture to the food processor. Pulse 5 times.
- Transfer to the round pan. Sprinkle the almond, lemon, sugar mixture on top. Spread evenly.
- Bake for about 55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- I served it with coconut frosting and salted butterscotch.