Acorn Squash Risotto
2 Cups short grain brown rice
1/4 Cup Olive oil
5 T Butter
1 leek, chopped
1 small fennel, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stock, chopped
Salt and Pepper
5 T fresh Sage, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Cup white wine
4-6 Cups Chicken stock, heating in a pot on the side
2-3 Cups Acorn Squash, cooked* (or half of a small acorn squash)
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/2 Cup Pecorino Cheese, grated
- In a medium stock pot add enough water to boil the rice, fill the pot 3/4 way full. (Enough water for the rice to move) Add 1/2 handful of salt.
- When the water is boiling add rice, stir. Cook for about 10-15 minutes. Par boiling the rice cuts the cooking time in half. Drain in colander, make sure there the rice is dry.
- In a heavy stock pot melt the butter and heat the olive oil, add the leeks, fennel, carrot, celery. Saute till soft. Sprinkle 2-3 pinches of salt and pepper while cooking.
- When the vegetables are almost done add the sage and garlic.
- Fry the rice in the vegetable mixture about 5 minutes or until light brown.
- Add white wine, cook till wine is absorbed by the rice.
- Take a ladle of the hot chicken stock and stir into the rice, stirring till rice absorbs the liquid.
- Keep doing this till rice is cooked. When done cooking add the cheeses and acorn meat.
- Salt and pepper again.
*To cook acorn cut down the center vertical. Remove seeds, rub squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook in a preheated 350 oven for about 20-30 minutes. When you pierce the squash with a fork, it is done. Let cook on the side. Scrap all the meat out of the skin and set aside in a bowl.