Cake of the Month: Applesauce Cake
Here is the recipe I used/altered. I made it gluten-free. It turned out to be pretty tasty. I brought it to a dinner party and the host said it was great because it wasn't too sweet. They even had it for breakfast the next day.
What are you making this month?
3 Cups Spelt Flour
2 t Baking Soda
1 t Salt
1 1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
1 1/4 t Ground Cardamom
1 Cup Butter, room temperature
1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
2 Cups Applesauce
2 Apples, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour bunt cake pan.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- In the same bowl add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Mix well.
- Stir in the applesauce.
- Spoon batter into pan, smooth top. Spread the apple pieces on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes till toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 10 minutes, Turn out of pan onto a plate.
- Serve with creme fraiche and/or lemon curd.