The first and only time I had a persimmon muffin was at Cafe Chloe. Because the muffin was served at high tea, it was not on their regular menu. I have been searching high and low for that muffin. Well, I was tired of searching and decided to try to recreate the persimmon muffin myself. Here is what I came up with.
adapted from foodnetwork.com
2 Very Ripe Hachiya Persimmons (the shape looks like an acorn)
2/3 cup Almond/Coconut Milk
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, King Arthur
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Cane Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Guar Gum
Zest from 1 Orange
11 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the muffin tin with paper liners. Cut the persimmons in half and scoop out the pulp into a bowl and mash till smooth.*
- In a bowl stir together the milk and vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium size bowl add the flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, guar gum, and orange zest. Mix till combined.
- In the milk/vinegar mixture add the butter, eggs and persimmon. Pour the wet into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- With an ice-cream scooper, divide the batter among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until done.